Sunday 13 January 2013

Challenge extended.....challenge accepted....make a Stormtrooper cake

My husbands birthday was approaching and my belly was growing (i was 8 months pregnant....and eating for 2 of course!) and my maternity leave had started.......so it was cake challenge time!
My husband is a bit of a geek, he would admit this, so i knew it had to be something either superhero or star wars related. I spent a lot of time on google looking at images, trying to decide what i could have a go at making. In the end i chose the Stormtrooper.....my husband always roots for the bad guys....no hans solo or luke skywalker for him......Darth Vader and Stormtroopers all the way........don't even mention the Ewoks!!! :-)
So subject picked, supplies purchased from Hobbycraft at the last minute!
**note** i try not to buy supplies from hobbycraft as they are soooo expensive, but when its last minute i do head there. But i prefer to purchase online, normally through ebay.
So as i said my maternity leave had started and so i had a whole day to make the cake whilst my husband was at work. Which meant i could make as much mess as i liked.....whoop! And a mess i did make! Baking with a pregnant belly is really not that easy and i didn't think about the logistics beforehand, but i got there in the end.
It took me all day carving and shaping the cake, making the buttercream and then putting it all together. I loosely followed the guide on the following blog, which was really helpful as a starting point.
http://www.workmanrumpus.com/blog/35-making-a-stormtrooper-cake
Then onto the decoration which was super fun and it was when the cake really started to take shape and i started to feel like i was getting somewhere. After almost a whole day on my feet, carving, chaping, mixing, sticking, decorating etc i was really pleased with the end result.
Considering this is only the 2nd novelty cake i had ever made i thought it was great, at the end of the day it looked like a stormtrooper and that was all i asked for!
What do you guys think? Success?


next challenge........having a baby and becoming a Mum!! Yikes!! Cakes took a backseat for quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment