Wednesday 16 January 2013

The P90X Challenge

My aim to get healthy and lose some weight has not gone very far. In fact it has gone nowhere!!
So when we moved house and finally had more space i resolved to start exercising again. Now the question was what should i do?
I used to jog a lot before my daughter was born. But it was the middle of winter and i dislike running in the dark from a safety point of view.
I couldn't afford to join a gym. So it looked like exercise videos were the best option. I have put together quite a collection over the years and each have their merits. But for some reason i bypassed the Davina workouts, the dance workouts and even the 30 day shred. And went straight for the hardcore P90X.
Now i have done the workouts from this boxset occasionally before, but i haven't ever followed the 90 day programme before. I'm not sure why i thought it was a good idea to undertake this when i haven't exercised in so long, but undertake it i did.
p90x-article
As it currently stands i am on day 38 of the P90X programme and i feel confident that i will keep it up and complete the programme and become a P90X graduate! Whoop!
Now whilst i feel confident regarding completion of the programme i am under no illusions that i will look like the ripped people on the DVD's. I was seriously overweight when i started the programme and am not much better off now (what i initially lost i gained again over christmas......damn all of that christmas chocolate!!) but i kow that even if on the outside there isn't much of a change that i will be stronger, more flexible, fitter and generally more healthy than i was to start with.
on the 7th January i started eating healthy so that i could shed some of the excess pounds. To get to a healthy BMI i need to shed 47lbs which seems like a massive amount to me. So far i have lost 5lbs.
I am going to try not to focus on the bigger number and try to remember that every lb i lose is a sucess and a victory. As i find it so easy to lose myself in the enormity of the number on the scale!
bathroom-scales
Anyway, P90X, for those who haven't tried it is a killer of a workout. It comprises of 12 workout DVD's which should be followed in a specific order. They cover cardio, weight training and flexibility so you really get an all round workout which is fantastic.
I wasn't in the best shape to start with (and am still not now really) and so i find these DVD's hard. There are some moves i am physically unable to do (the Crane in the yoga DVD for one) and i am unable to complete the Plyometrics DVD without pausing it on multiple occasions to catch my breath!
But....i am improving, I feel so much stronger and am able to do so much more than i could to start with. And whilst i was flexible to start with i am now even more flexible.
I have 22 days until Day 60, on which i will be taking some update photos. I am excited at the prospect of seeing a change (no matter how small) in comparison to my before pictures.
Wish me luck with the rest of the programme!!

No comments:

Post a Comment